Post Last Updated on
Your shoes are not only your fashion or style statement but they are way more than that. The shoes you wear do not only define your personality but also determine your comfort, confidence, and health of your feet, posture, and bones.
This is the reason I always encourage you to go for smart shoe choices that come with both comfort and style. The style that is costing you your comfort, confidence and health do not worth your money at all. I repeat and believe me it never deserves your money and feet 😉
So this is the thought that always pushes me to come with the blog posts and guides in which I talk about suitable shoe choices for different medical conditions. Once again, I am taken over by this thought so I am here with another blog post that is going to help you to buy smart shoes for you.
To cut the long story short, in this article we are going to talk about a medical condition “Pes cavus” and help you to find shoes that suit for this medical condition. Let’s get started.
- 1 What is Pes Cavus?
- 2 Signs and Symptoms of Pes Cavus:
- 3 How to treat Pes Cavus?
- 4 What are the Best Shoes for High Arches or Pes Cavus?
- 5 Best Pes Cavus Shoes:
- 6 Conclusion:
What is Pes Cavus?
Pes cavus is a medical condition characterized by an arched foot and a hollow sole which doesn’t flatten out even when weight is applied.
Medical deformity can be hereditary or acquired from bad lifestyle habits. However, the condition can also be caused by an underlying issue related to a neurological, neuromuscular, or orthopedic medical condition.
Although Pes Cavus is less common than flat feet (Pes Planus), the opposite of pes cavus, more than 10% of the general population faces this medical condition. However, the reasons for this medical condition vary, and a physician should be consulted as soon as the symptoms occur.
Pes cavus can occur in one or both feet, to both males and females at any age. Although some symptoms are less painful, the condition can still cause significant pressure to be applied to the heel or ankle of the foot while standing, walking, or running.
Signs and Symptoms of Pes Cavus:
Some of the most common symptoms of Pes cavus include:
- Arched foot – might cause bone damage or foot injury
- Low sensation in lower leg and feet
- Back pain
- Knee pain
- Heel pain – caused by inflammation of tissues
- Ankle strain or pain
Susceptibility to all of these symptoms is highly unlikely. In case of extreme pain, refer to your physician to better understand the medical condition.
Although it’s quite hard to determine the root cause of pes cavus, it is still critical to determine if they are neurological, weak intrinsic foot muscles, or something completely different. Here’s a list of some of the reasons for Pes Cavus:
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disorder – causes a hindrance in nerve development; imbalance of muscle strength
- Muscular atrophy
- Spinal tumor – can cause other foot deformities as well
Again, the causes of pes cavus and the deformities linked with it are quite complex and not well understood.
How to treat Pes Cavus?
Treatments for pes cavus be of two categories:
1. Surgical treatments
Surgical treatment procedures are performed with the following outcomes in mind:
- Alleviate pain
- Correct deformity
- Rebalance muscular forces
Surgical treatments are usually only considered when there’s severe pain, and non-surgical treatments have not shown progress.
Some surgical options include:
- Soft-tissues releases
- Tendon transfer
- Osteotomy – bone re-alignment, stabilizing, or fixation
- Bone-stabilizing procedures
2. Non-surgical treatments
Orthotic treatment provided by podiatrists and orthotists falls under non-surgical treatment strategies. Orthotists might provide simple pressure-relieving devices like cushioning orthosis or specialized footwear to make the condition better.
The first step to identify the treatment is to identify the type of deformity; flexible or rigid. If the deformity is flexible, corrective orthoses are chosen by podiatrists. Fixed deformities are accommodated with cups or heel-raising support cushions, which ultimately causes a reduction in foot pain.
If paralysis is a symptom, stints can be recommended to halt excessive walking. This way, the leg can heal and gain muscular strength before being able to walk again.
Physiotherapy can also be an excellent option to alleviate pressure from the arched foot as stretching it might cause the weaker muscles to strengthen and loosen stiff joints. However, proper recovery and foot restructuring might require months before actual signs of progress appear.
What are the Best Shoes for High Arches or Pes Cavus?
For children and adults suffering from pes cavus, finding the right shoe can be difficult. In most cases, these shoes are either specially designed or have strong insole support.
Specialized shoes designed for high arches are an excellent choice for support and foot alignment. With proper cushioning, thick outsoles, and comforting insoles, the perfect shoe will provide a stable footbed will alleviating the pressure from the heels and the ankle.
Finding such high arch shoes can be a hard task, so, we’ve curated a list of some of the best shoes you can get, to help your feet settle in, flatten overtime, and reduce the pain effectively.
Without further ado, here’s a list of some of the best pes cavus shoes you can get:
Best Pes Cavus Shoes:
The first one on our list is one of the premium shoes offered by ASICS that has its all focus on comfortability, durability and premium feel especially for runners.
It provides decent arch support for High Arches (Pes Cavus) runners to ensure painless and stable running throughout. Furthermore, Its midsole features a FluidRide 2.0 technology for bouncy and responsive feel as well as a Lightweight experience.
Suffering from foot pain while running? Don’t worry! These shoes are equipped with Gel® Cushioning System which covers the rearfoot and forefoot to ensure maximum cushioning and shock absorption. Propulsion Trusstic® Technology is also included to boost your running performance.
Moving on to its upper, that fits nicely around the foot.
It is crafted from stretchable mesh fabric upper which is breathable, durable and flexible enough to adapt the shape of your foot and provide ultimate comfort, breezy and irritation-free experience. Besides, seamless construction is made certain to allow you to wear shoes without socks and prevent the foot from blisters, sweat, and itching.
Want to Know More?
ASICS Gel-Fortitude 8’s outsole has a heel drop of 10 mm and durability that can withstand wear and tear for long, thanks to its Asics High Abrasion Resistant (AHAR) blown rubber. Moreover, there are flex grooves under the outsole which enables quick toe-off phase and natural foot movement while running.
They are available in 2 different flavors and US standard sizes. Its appealing design and cool specifications make them one of the best shoes for Pes Cavus (High Arches) which you can wear for running, or casually.
ASICS GEL Fortitude 8 Review:
- About 96% of the reviews were positive.
- Buyers appreciated its appealing design and good cushioning.
- Reviewers with high arches were happy to find adequate arch support for their foot.
- They have Just right toe box and a true width, many users said.
- One of the buyers said that these shoes are lightweight and provide great support for heavyweight people.
- Many testers claimed that its price is worth paying.
- One of the users complained that its Extra Wide size is not enough wide.
- One of the testers didn’t find them good for heavy running, instead he preferred wearing them casually.
Grab the maximum cushioning and support with Bondi 6 Running shoes by HOKA ONE ONE. The full-length compression-molded EVA foam midsole is specially designed to support the people with Pes Cavus or High Arches or Supination.
Moreover, the midsole supplies high-performance cushioning with substantial thickness and beveled heels, making them one of the best shoes for running, walking and standing all day.
Apart from the comfortable bottom, Bondi 6 shoes also provide amazing comfort from the top.
The open engineered mesh uppers with synthetic overlays ensure adequate airflow inside the shoe with maximum support and flexibility. Also, Lycra® comfort frame heel adapts to the curve of the heel, covering it and keeping it protected.
An internal heel counter is also included that support the Lycra frame and keep the foot in place and prevent it from slipping out while running.
Moreover, padded tongue and collar along with comfortable fabric lining keep the internal environment sweat-free and irritation-free so you can easily wear them on a hot sunny day or places with the hot temperature at work.
Moving on to its outsole, which is constructed from Hi-Abrasion, lightweight rubber compound to reduce weight, optimize the durability and ensure a smooth transition. It is durable enough to withstand premature wear and tear, hence, making them strong enough to last longer than normal running shoes.
With the heel drop of 4 mm, 9 colorful flavors and appealing design, these shoes are perfect for wearing casually or daily running. They are available in a variety of US standard sizes along with the wide width option intact.
Hoka Bondi 6 Reviews:
- About 88% of the Reviewers appreciated the shoes.
- Reviewers praised its breathability which was far better than its previous version.
- Users with Pes Cavus or Supination found enough support and cushioning to run, walk or stand all day.
- About 85% of the Buyers felt that these shoes are True to Size and Width with just right toe box.
- Its Molded Ortholite® footbed has given relief to one of the reviewers with Plantar Fasciitis.
- Many users gained a lot of compliments due to its eye-catching design.
- Almost everyone was quite amazed by its comfortability.
- One user felt a bit uncomfortable wearing such a thick sole.
- These shoes ran narrow for one of the reviewers.
- Few of the buyers complained that the underfoot of the shoe is stiffer than Hoka Bondi 5.
- One of the users complained that its sole fell apart from the rest after a few months of use.
Another addition to our list of best shoes for Pes Cavus or High Arches is Saucony Ride 10. These shoes are equipped with the Power Foam and removable, molded foam insole along with EVERUN top sole and the foam in the heel to provide adequate arch support for high arches.
Furthermore, these foams prevent foot fatigue, plantar fasciitis, and other foot-related injuries and problems due to their responsiveness, springiness, ultra-cushioning, maximum shock absorption, and support.
To further enhance the comfortability, A strong engineered mesh upper with lightweight FLEXFILM™ overlays and Soft, breathable fabric lining is featured.
It protects the exoskeleton, ensures great in-shoe feel, provides a snug fit, and enhances the foot transition. Moreover, mesh fabric is breathable and flexible to allow good circulation of air, keeping the foot dry, cool and sweat-free.
With an 8 mm Heel drop, the body stays in a more balanced and comfortable position on every foot strike as cushioning is distributed more evenly between the heels and forefoot of the shoes.
TRI-FLEX outsole is made up of abrasion-resistant rubber, which preserves the structural integration of the midsole, provides great traction and prevents the shoes from premature wear and tear.
It delivers optimal flexibility and increases the force distribution over a larger surface area, hence, providing a smooth and comfortable running experience.
Apart from running these shoes are comfortable, durable and stylish enough to be worn for everyday use. They available in 7 vibrant colorways as well as a wide width option and a wide range of US Standard sizes to accommodate the maximum number of people.
Saucony Ride 10 Reviews:
- About 80% of the reviewers were glad to buy these shoes for high arches.
- According to many testers, these shoes provide pair enough support and cushioning for Pes Cavus feet.
- Many users praised that it has a roomier toe box and requires No or less break-in time.
- These shoes are springy, responsive, flexible and lightweight. Said of the buyer.
- One of the testers ran 50 km in it without any discomfort and noticeable wear and tear.
- About 12% of the reviewers had complained regarding these shoes.
- Few of the felt that shoes are narrow to wear.
- One of the reviewers claimed that these shoes didn’t provide enough arch support to her.
- Some of the users complained that the fabric on the side of the shoe tore apart after few months of use.
- A few buyers felt that these shoes are not slip-resistant on wet surfaces.
Looking for some nice pair of Slip Resistant Shoes? Check out these links below:
- 8 Best Nike Non Slip Shoes for Restaurants 2019
- Top 10 Best Slip Resistant Shoes for Women 2019
- Top 10 Best Slip Resistant Shoes for Men 2019
Looking for the incredible comfort, versatile, classy and stylish shoes with enough support for Pes Cavus condition, then these Vionic Condie Sneakers could be your first choice.
These shoes are loaded with contoured footbed along with Orthaheel technology to provide adequate arch support for high arches and helps to align the shoe. Moreover, a deep heel cup ensures maximum stability and prevents problems with heels.
Its upper is crafted from water-proof and weather-resistant leather or suede with rounded toe to keep your foot dry, and provide roomier toe box.
Perforated details at the heel area and Soft and breathable fabric linings ensure adequate airflow for the breezy and irritation-free environment inside.
These biomechanical orthotic shoes are designed by a podiatrist to provide comfortable, healthy and pain-free experience throughout while standing or walking. It has an easy slip-on design with elastic band wraps around the top, making easy to wear.
It has a removable EVA Footbed for easy support customization and rubber outsole for fair traction and comfortable experience.
Vionic Codie Orthotic Shoes can easily be worn with any outfit on any occasion by anyone, thanks to its 6 appealing colorways, stylish and sporty looks, wide width and a wide range of US standard sizes.
Vionic Codie Shoe Reviews:
- About 81% of the reviews were positive.
- Users praised its arch support which gave relief to people with pes cavus foot conditions.
- Reviewers have been wearing them for hours without any discomfort.
- One of the buyers praised its snug fit and appealing color and design.
- Its Water-repellent upper is something loved by everyone.
- Many users with narrow feet and high arches appreciated the shoe’s comfortability, durability, and support.
- Some of the testers felt that these shoes are still narrow with a wide width.
- Few users complained that these shoes rub against the back of the feet.
- A review with arthritic fingers had a hard time putting them on.
For More Shoes Suggestions, Check out the Links Below:
Although pes cavus is a painful medical condition, it is still possible for you to provide comfort to your feet by wearing proper footwear.
With physiotherapy, cushioned devices, or suitable footwear, you will always be a step closer to a better life as walking and running are not going to sound that hard.
If the pain persists or the deformities continue to progress, it is highly recommended to get in touch with a physician or a podiatrist to get a quick consult.
For Better Understanding, Watch this Video:
- Most Comfortable Shoes for Standing All Day – 2019
- 12 Most Comfortable Heels for Standing all Day – 2019
- How to Avoid Problems with Heels? – Quick Tips